I have lived in Hanoi capital from 2011 and i still remember the first days in Hanoi, when crossing a street was my bigest nightmare. I used to stand on sidewalk very long to watch before stepping down the road.?
Before 2011, i?lived in Lao Cai, it’s?a small city where is very little vehicles and i never fear when crossing street. So when arriving Hanoi, it was really a?big challenge because there are thousands of vehicles intertwining on a street and look there is no any space for walkers.?I had to take a quite long time to learn the crossing street way.?
Now, i totally understand the anxiety of tourists when crossing in Vietnam and always help when see someone is?confusing on the sidewalk.?
So, how to cross the streets in Vietnam?
Really, you don’t have to worry about this in small cities, like Hue, Hoi An, Dalat,…, there are quite litte vehicles so the crossing is easy. But in big cities, like Sai Gon, Hanoi, Hai Phong, it’s a big trouble.?
There is an easiest way?to do this, find someone is free or a police and ask them for help, most of them will help you with the friendly (if they understand what are you wanting).?
Another easy?way, if you see someone is crossing the street, let’s cross with them. Just follow them, they step you step, they stop you stop and everything will be fine.?
If you can’t ask or follow anyone?then you must do it yourself, but don’t worry, let’s calm down and do following tips:
– Let’s calm down?because things are not scary like you see. Watching and you will see the spaces between vehicles that enough for 1 person, moving slowly to there.
– Put your hand up?and wave to drivers see you easily.?
– Don’t run and don’t step back, keep moving slowly and slowly.?
– Don’t worry about motobikes, they will avoid easily if you move slowly. I’m also a motorbike driver and i know what have to do when see the walkers.?
– Never move in font of the buses?and big cars, they’re very difficult to avoid you.
Follow these instructions and you will cross safely, and feeling will be very interesting like you just had an adventure travel. Wish you sucess!